The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] axle

Jim,
I sent Ann four photo's of  one with the axles still chained from the
Florida trip, since I have not gotten around to replacing the axle and need
it to be moveable. So, still chained after 1,700 miles, I took the picture
and sent it to her after the message.

The basic problem is that unlike a open frame trailer such as a car trailer,
the axle cannot be chained up to anything, since nothing is exposed on a
typical travel trailer such as a Silver Streak or Streamline, etc. So how in
the world can you keep the axle up, once you have it jacked up until it
bottoms simultaneously forcing the adjacent axle down? The solution is in
the center hanger which is called a multitude of names. I called it a
walking beam because I don't know the proper name, but you know it is the
hanger in the center to which one end of each of the springs of each axle
hangs. The function is a simple process which tries to keep the trailer
smooth on dissimilar surfaces so that the trailer does not jump up and down
with every bump or hole. A level ride and an attempt at a more positive
control keeping tires in constant contact with payment. So....

I found two ways to keep the axle with no wheel up, force the remaining
down, still have full spring action, and avoid the obvious which would be to
remove the axle instead of tying it up. Now I am always in a rush, lazy,
usually it's hot, or raining, or on the side of the road, or just can't go
another inch, so that's the reasons I don't want to pull the axle out, plus
YOU NEED THAT AXLE IN PLACE in order to pull a trailer on one axle only.
Why? Well you have got to force the remaining axle in a down position, to
keep the trailer at the same height as if there were two axles. I digressed
so...

When you jack up the axle, the center hanger is forced up and will bottom,
the opposite end being forced down, will leave a very wide open space
between the heavy iron, and the shacked frame. A 2X4 piece of wood angle cut
with a saw, axe, your hammer and chisel, or whatever you have so that it has
a point sort of like a thick tent peg can be wedge hammered into the now
open space. I hammer it so hard, that it really forms a tight fit, but not
hard enough to splinter it up. Then you get your good old duct tape and go
round and round the whole thing a jillion times. It will keep that chunk of
wood in place like you wouldn't believe. Or just go to a hardware store,
find a poly bag for about $8 with two chains in it for replacement trailer
safety chains, get a couple of grade 8 bolts of 3/8" size 2-1/2 to 3" long,
eight 3/8" flat washers (your gonna double up) and four grade 8 nuts so you
can jam nut. You'll need a 9/16" box-end/open-end wrench to tighten. The
long bolts are so you can bare angle catch the link and be able to just
tighten the dickens out of the chain to get all that inevitable slack a
chain always seems to have.

Let me find the pictures of this last one still chained. I will send them to
you. Please send me your email address.

Now every one reading this might think.....crazy, why do I care?....I got
new tires, I got remote pressure sensors, I just never would care about this
or think of any need or doing this. Well, I assure you there are too many
scenarios where you could find yourself on three, or even two wheels and
cannot stand a 5, 6, 7, 8 hundred dollar towing bill. I like you can name
you several places where if you leave your trailer to come back, it may be
vandalized, stripped, or even gone. I will not leave my trailer. It always
goes with me, no matter what.

I am sorry, as usual I am too long with this.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX