The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Deadbolts

Weiser makes a really nice knobset, the "WeiserBolt." It combines an ordinary
outside door knobset with a deadbolting feature. The inside knob has a
turnbolt that extends the latch bolt an extra inch. In years of using these on
rental units, I never had a WeiserBolt defeated by burglars. The steel
insulating doors were sometimes beat up pretty badly but the knobsets held.

"5170 Front/Back Lockset
www.weiserlock.com/Default.aspx?area=productseries&action=TechnicalSpecificat
ions&product_id=100097
"1/2" (12.7mm) latchbolt operated by knob from either side. 1" (25.4mm)
projection deadbolt operated by turn button inside and key outside. Outside
knob turns free in locked position. Key in outer trim or turning inside knob
returns latch to spring position - inside knob always free."
"Outside knob turns free in locked position." This means the knob cannot be
forced by turning with a wrench.
"Fits into standard (2 1/8") knobset hole, eliminating the need to drill an
extra deadbolt hole."
I've not tried a WeiserBolt on a thin RV door. It is designed to fit from 1
5/8" (interior doors and some old panel exterior are 1 3/8") to 1 7/8" (most
modern exterior doors are 1 3/4") doors. I don't presently have a WeiserBolt
to try out.
Al