The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Picking up Grandma's 78' 28ft SS in a month... ?'s

Just a few observations.  I have a 2000 F-250 with the 7.3 power-stroke
diesel.  I put a BD chip in the vehicle, which increased the horsepower by
around 75, the torque by about 100 ft. lbs. and the mileage by about 3-4
MPG.

I do believe in overkill, as I am pulling a '65 22' Streamline with the
truck.  Trailer weight is probably close to 5,000 going down the road, with
the added hardwood floor, etc.

I run around 70 MPH when possible, and in a 3,000 mile trip earlier this
year, averaged 16.5 mpg pulling the trailer from Houston-L.A. and back.
Mountains and hills don't seem to have as much effect on mileage as does the
prevailing wind.

The diesel has just over 200,000 miles, and is still going strong.  It did
cost an extra $4,000 for the diesel, but it was well worth the extra cost,
and is definitely now paying dividends.  I am told that there are similar
7.3 diesel engines around town with over 1,000,000 miles on them.  Whatever,
I see no need for replacement any time soon.

As far as sway goes, I just don't experience any.  I don't consider rear
duallys necessary, but a properly balanced trailer is what you do need.  My
tongue weight on the trailer is just under 800 lbs., or around 20% of the
total weight.  This, coupled with a long, heavy tow vehicle keeps the
trailer under control.  I do not have an expensive sway control hitch, or
use a sway bar.  I do use spring bars to distribute the tongue weight.

The only sway episode I ever had with this vehicle was once when I went into
a skid coming around a curve.  That was my error, because I was using the
exhaust, or engine brake when it was raining.  I learned from that that one
never uses an engine brake on wet roads!  Even so, I was able to get the
trailer back under control, and remain on the road, although I did need both
lanes for a short distance until I got both truck and trailer straightened
out.

-Tom