The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Picking up Grandma's 78' 28ft SS in a month... ?'s

Hi,
   I have been watching the discussion and thought I'd "chip" in.  I pull my
28' SS Continental Supreme Rocket with a 87 Ford F250 3/4 ton long-bed with a
460 V8 engine.  I have an expensive sway control hitch on it but still fight
sway when passed by 18 wheelers and it gets down to 45 mph on steep hills and
the gas mileage is bad.  I pull fine on the flat but usually keep things to 60
mph.  I am surprised the 460 doesn't have more pulling strength on the hills.
I'd like a  truck that got better mileage and had more pulling power but I
can't afford one on a teacher's salary.   I don't know how it would be on a
long trip.  I've only pulled it to places about five hours from home.   I'm
certainly learning a lot through this discussion. Thanks!
Chris