The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] aluminum blocks or heads

The Vega had an iron head. The aluminum there was the block. An aluminum
block with no liners. It was a demonstration piece for the nikasil
lining in bare aluminum. It wasn't ready yet, altho within a few years
big block chevy racing engines in group 7 unlimited sports racers were
using the same technology to get 900 horsepower.

Never owned a vega, but I do have a soft spot for them. I'd like a vega
wagon, but most of them have big v-8's in them now. The little Buick 215
aluminum v-8 would be nice. They had liners, and were also made into a
racing engine in Australia. Used by Rover for a generation after that as
well.

Sorry, not Stream/Streak or tow'd related. I have a Corvair.