The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Silver Streak

I am not totally familiar with the Silver Streak insignias, but thought that
they were all decals.  If not, casting new ones is an option.

Some of the Streamline trailer insignias were decals, but earlier ones from
the 60's were plastic.  In the case of my trailer, they had broken and were
no longer intact.  I tried for some time to have new ones cast, but the
firms I approached had quite a bit of difficulty casting new ones, as the
aluminum kept breaking on them.

I did finally find a company here in Houston that was able to cast intact
replicas for me, and they have worked out quite well.  I did have to
undercoat the aluminum before applying a finish coat of paint, as the cast
aluminum does outgas.  For the final coat, I went to a model shop, and used
the paint that for model cars.  I had been told by others that regular spray
paint doesn't last, but the model shop paint seems to be holding up.

-Tom