The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Hi Michael and Cellesti

Welcome to the SS List and congratulations on your new ownership.
With a lot of help I have restored a 1983 Silver Streak 3411 Supreme.  It was in
perfect original condition when I traded a 1970 Streamline 23' Duchess for it in
1991.  We owned the Streamline for 21 years.  My first project was to install a
propane powered Honda RV water cooled generator under the sink cabinet top shelf.
In 1995 the trailer was in a huge hail storm in Fort Worth, Texas.  One stone was
large enough (basketball size) to dent three "pies" on the upper left corner.
Fortunately, after considerable persuasion, I convinced my insurance carrier to
fix the loss rather than totaling it.  This was at the very end of the SS factory's
operation and I was able to get all the original skin replacements.  The next
improvement was redecorating the inside.  My wife and a friend, who was an interior
decorator, did a beautiful job.  Through the years, I have made a number of small ,
but challenging improvements.  Satellite and conventional antennas, new cables and
RF selector switche
s, AC/DC television with VCR, new microwave, closet clothes poles and shelves,
porcelain commode and lavatory, new fluorescent light fixtures, refrigerator, water
heater, heater and ducts, water pump, marine battery master switch, and an electronic
constant voltage converter and a tongue jack.  My latest endeavor has been to change
out all the tires and re-machine all the original Western Mag wheels and add new shank
nuts and center caps.  I saved all the invoices so I could keep track of what, where,
and when all the various items were acquired.  Shocking when you look at it in total.
However, if you want a fine Silver Steak it is worth the effort and the money.  I am
telling you all this to show there is no stopping to remodeling whether it be a house
or trailer.  You must decide how far and when to improve.  Even if a new one were a
vailable it would cost way more than a remodel.  Just think $80,000 plus for a new
Airstream and it would have to wait a long time for vintage status.
  Good luck and enjoy your SS regardless of the condition.
Gus and Kathy