[VAL] Barg 99 LED part number, web link, and base conversion instructions

Scott,
I had an answer ready to send, then I tripped over a cord and spilled a cup
of diet coke into my laptop. Well, is a first for me. Just got it back up
maybe, since 7 PM......can't touch the mouse pad keys or wowie. If this goes
weird, you'll know why. I'm going to try and keep this really short.

Answer is yes. Now I should hit the send button. That would be short. Please
allow a short expansion.

The round B99 base plate is universally designed for flush and rear cavity
open mounting. Is used on lot's of SOB's. If your application is flush
mount, then you have to be willing to drill a large hole in the skin to
accommodate the socket sticking out the back of the base to modify it for
straight insert bulb rather than laid horizontally on its side from Bargman.
If mounting on trailer is open behind the base already, then nothing has to
be additionally done except the modification.

There is plenty of room between the bulb and the lens for straight in bulb
if the modification is done as shown in the pictures on Tom's link. Just
like those pics the socket is mounted behind the base, but flush with the
face of the plate at the opening where you put the bulb. The base plate is
steel, not al.

The modification of the B99 base plate is so simple compared to the Dietz
160. Drill out the socket mount bracket two small rivets with 1/8" bit,
remove bracket, clean base and bracket with soap and water, straighten the
bracket 90 bend, find a center of the base, mark it, drill centered hole
1/16" bigger than the socket, put socket up to base, mark two holes for
bracket, drill out base for 1/8" rivets and rivet. There is nothing to
shape. Just straighten the bracket, drill, mount! Your done!

Cover the bulb side of now clean base with aluminum a/c duct tape for a
shiny reflector surface. Insert either LED bulb or 1157 incandescent bulb.
Install and wire base, gasket or putty tape seal the lens, install three
lens screw with SS screws and SS small flat backing washers. Don't over
tighten.

The horizontally mounted bulb is only for a universal application so Bargman
could avoid making two versions of the same light. No other reason. Bulb is
actually further away from heating and damaging lens when converted. The
side mounted bulb casts a shadow across the mount so parts of your lens are
not getting full light right now. The rear mounted socket allows a straight
insert bulb to fully light the lens. The shiny tape further fills the lens
with light. The LED bulb below fits and works great, is red thru red lens
for more color and brighter. The LED can only fail if over-voltaged. It
won't care if gets wet, immersed, bumped, or vibrated. It will not make heat
and won't go dim with age.

LED Bulb Info:
The best price I found was SuperBrightLEDS. For red tail lights I bought
Red1157-R24-Wide and scroll down the link to see at
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR
You must use red LED with a Red Lens. Color of lens will fitter affect light
from any LED. You must remember to specify red and wide. It defaults to
narrow and white. The cost is $7.49 per bulb. Voltage limit is 14.8. You
order it wrong and it's yours and your fault. Check all new bulbs on
receipt. They can be defective. Don't just bench test one, compare two in
case an LED is not as bright as next on adjacent bulb being tested. They get
and send too many. They don't test. You test.

I really tried to keep this short.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX