[VAL] RE: VAL Digest V3 #789

Hi Chuck and Lynn,
I run ST 225/75-R15 Goodyear Marathon radial trailer tires on my '56 A/S
Caravanner (which is almost identical to your Flying Cloud). They are mounted
on original rims (they aren't split rims), which are six-lug by, I think are
5.5" or 6" in width. I also installed metal valve stems, which I recommend due
to the higher inflation pressure of trailer tires. If you don't want to use
original rims, Dexter makes an excellent rim that is very reasonably priced.
It is available in a five or six bolt pattern and rated at 2600 lbs. per rim.
Another reason to run radial tires is that the more flexible radial sidewall
gives a softer ride to the trailer. That means less stress on a
fifty-plus-year-old structure, not to mention the things inside.
Brian