RE: [VAL] Trailer Savfety

Martin,

Three weeks ago I parked my 67 Tradewind 40 miles from paved road and 60
miles from Casper, Wyoming.  I found the ball behind the coupler socket and
pushing out the side.  The ball socket was flattened on one side.  Ware
showed that the socket had ridden on top of the two inch square post in
front of the ball.  A left turn allowed the coupler to fall in front of the
socket, and straightening put caused the damage.

I could go on with the details, but I believe the fault occurred at least
100 miles before we parked.  I had heard a clunk in Laramie, and I found
nothing around the hitch out of place when I looked.  The socket was on the
ball.  I am convinced that tongue weight and the weight distribution bars
kept the socket on the ball until the last mile of rough road.

You can't look inside a socket and see metal fatigue or fine cracks, and I
don't know what actually failed.  I do know that it would be much cheaper to
replace a coupler on a 40 year old trailer in town at your convenience than
it is 60 miles from Casper. Also, you could focus better on fishing without
any thought about what didn't happen at 70mph with a loose coupler.

Most, if not all, of you will say mine looks ok, and ALMOST all of you will
be right.  Good luck.

Jim Cooper