[VAL] Re: trailer safety

It is generally a good policy to pick up the back of the truck a bit
with the tongue jack.  Shows the coupler is locked properly, and also
makes hook up easier if tensioning weight equalizing bars.

Regarding changing the ball,  I have seen recommendations of as
little as 10, 000 miles.. The questions are,   Where do these numbers
come from, and aren't you taking more risk by changing things that
aren't broken.??

       While I have heard stories of ball shanks breaking. (  not
talking small 3/4 inch balls)  I have never seen it myself . I  have
driven for a transport company for ten years so  I talk to lots
of  drivers  with  many hundreds of thousand of miles on their towing
equipment, mine included  and know of no instances of this happening
. ( Loose balls are another story)

Regarding the ball socket, it is a good idea to take a rag and  get
up inside and clean it out regularly.  While grease is good, if not
kept clean, dirt will turn it into grinding compound

That said, I  AM NOT arguing against Herb's advise.

Much safety advise is just passed on  from person to person
and  publication to publication over the years without a known
source.  For many years I would repeatedly read that the break away
cable should be shorter than the safety chains which  never made
sense to me.  I even argued against this in a letter to
the Phred Sez column a fewer years ago.

Herb Quade seems to agree with me on the break away issue, and also
fastening the break away cable, the one long enough to be the last
thing to activate, to a point on the vehicle other than the hitch.

I think he is pretty sharp.

It is a good policy to walk around the trailer looking at things,
wiggling them , and feeling hub and tire temperatures at every stop.

All that being said, I make no claims to being a safety expert and
may have just been lucky over the years,

Rick Davis  1602