Re: [VAL] Armstrong Aircondition

Daisy,
I won't ask as I know the telling. Actually the new units are wonderful, all
of them. I chose and bought four of the Carrier units. Outstanding. I have
about four of the DuoTherm and Dometic. Features vary.

The importance is the new and completely different compressors. The new ones
are what is called a scroll type of compressor versus the old piston type.
They work better, get colder, and the entire unit will draw half or less
real cost-you-money energy than the older ones. They are twice (at least)
efficient, weigh much less and extremely long lived. The fan blower motors
are far more efficient and quieter.

Any time an ac is turned on, that initial start up is a part of the LRA
meaning locked rotor amps. The reference is primarily for momentary power
interruptions where the unit got momentarily stopped, started, and cannot
restart because there exists too much system (head) pressure. The motor is
locked. It's over load has to come into play and cycle. This exists in your
home fridge and home central ac. The LRA is one half of the old units. It is
real and you can see it when your lights all dim, or used to upon start up,
etc., cycles.

If a person can afford it, upgrade to a new or newer unit is very beneficial
in many ways and the old "barn burners" really should be retired. The cost
of the new units has come way down.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX