Re: [VAL] Elevator bolts

Jim,

I know epoxy coating is a popular effort to keep water out of the plywood.
However I remain unconvinced that it is always a good idea.   Rot repair of
a small spot, sure good idea. The edges maybe, one side OK however both
sides maybe not.  Then you have the issue of one side being different from
the other side and humidity transfer causing warping.  Bolted in place and
the problem of warping is less but still there.  The problem with epoxy
saturating is it seals the outside pretty good but does not soak into good
solid material all that well under atmospheric pressure.  What happens is it
is easy to keep water in pretty difficult to keep it out.  As a custom
furniture builder I always treat both sided or each piece of wood the same,
40+ years of experience.  I think it is better to make sure the shell is
water tight then the floor will remain dry.  Use a good grade of marine glue
plywood, coat both side with something that will seal it and still breath
and forget about it.  If it were mine I would put several coats of General
Finishes Outdoor Oil on both sides and edges and forget about it.  It is a
true linseed oil base product with a fungicide added.  BTW, I
*don't*recommend any of the other General Finished oil or urethane
products for
most things.  Waterlox is a much superior furniture finish.  Just to set the
record straight, Tung oil for furniture, if you care about it.  Anyone need
this soap box?  I am done.  <G>

Royce