[VAL] 50's dump valve information needed

Here I go with yet another question for the 50's Airstream crowd..
I noticed recently on a 1958 Traveler that the dump valve is located
inside the black tank. It looks like a plunger made from thin brass,
and simply closes off the bottom hole in the black tank that leads to
the outside.
The plunger has no signs of an O-ring, or rubber on teh bottom, where
it is supposed to seal against the exit hole in the tank. Of course
it does not seal the exit hole.
Has anyone successfully rebuild such an animal, or is it better to
lose it and install a modern slide valve to the existing dump elbow?
It could be a decent little system, if it can be restored.
Help, information, suggestions are much appreciated, as always.

btw. I found a used Vaillant instant water heater for this project,
in excellent condition. Between the one in the trailer , and the
"new" one, it looks like the water heater can be restored to working
condition. The new one has a very recent gas valve/pilot assembly.
Next is the heater in the floor. I think it woul dbe very nice to
have all the original systems in the trailer working like new, even
if they don't get used much.

Thanks to the group for posting information in the past on the
Vaillant water heater and on the floor heater ( Carlsson furnace)

Uwe Salwender
salwender@sbcglobal.net