[VAL] Re: Gutting

> Just my two cents- I'm unaware of any Airstream museums or concours type
> competitions which justify a 'museum quality restoration', and IMHO even an
> Airstream is only a travel trailer; getting these things to where they can
> be
> used is more important than having a 'historically correct' unit, wouldn't
> you
> say? Sure, it's nice to have one that's just like it was when it came off
> the
> line, but if rain and rats and Uncle Larry's bad habits have trashed the
> existing stuff, I don't see where taking a bunch of useless crap out the
> door
> is any kind of sin. I'm in the ( painfully slow) process of emptying a 64
> TradeWind, retiling the floor, and installing a bunch of high quality
> restaurant items to use it as a mobile coffee shop, and my feeling is that
> it
> will be more useful than the grubby husk of a trailer it was when I got it.
>
> CB Rollins
>

> Hi CB:
>
>    Well, from your description it sounds like your grubby n' trashed '64
> trailer was nowhere near museum quality when you got it, and you had no
> intention of using it as a travel trailer anyway.  But there are
> Airstreams out there are that have been wonderfully preserved over the
> years and are museum quality today.  Some of us don't need a competition
> to keep them that way.  With careful screening of purchasers, we know
> they will stay that way and remain in the right hands.
>
>    And yes, there is an annual concours Vintage Airstream competition at
> the International each year for those who need additional motivation to
> keep their nice trailers original or simply have the pride to enjoy
> preserving and showing off their vintage gems.
>
>    Since you are a commercial end user, you might think twice about
> trashing all that "useless crap" you take out the door.  One man's junk
> is another man's treasure, and you could likely sell much of that crap
> for more than the garbage man will give you for it.
>
>      How "mobile" will your coffee shop be when completed? Will it stay
> in a fixed location or travel around to different locations weekly?
>
> Fred C.

CB  Rollins

This is in response to CB Rollins post and the many contradictions in this
post.  First let us make sure everyone knows that there is actually a real
VINTAGE Airstream Club that has a Concours d' Elegance competition every
year open to dues paying members. This club is a part of the Wally Byam
Caravan Club International. The purpose of the club is to bring Vintage
owners and their rigs together to share knowledge, history, and experiences
of ownership of units 25 years and older. And occasionally go camping
together.

CB Rollins says, "Airstreams are just Travel Trailers" and "getting these
things to where they can be used" and "more important than historically
correct,  I would you say NOT.

This is the contradiction as "being used" as a travel trailer and a catering
unit are not the same.

"and my feeling is that it will be more useful than the grubby husk of a
trailer it was when I got it."

It is a Travel Trailer,  built for Travelling..it was not built to be a
catering unit. You can convert to a catering unit, but it is much more
useful and valuable as a Vintage Travel Trailer.

Vintage Era and Historically correct are one and the same.

These are way more than Travel Trailers. They are AIRSTREAMS.

 I would suggest travelling the world in your purpose built self contained
travel trailer is much more useful and valuable then a catering unit. There
is a coffee shop on every corner. And one in the middle of the block.
Vintage Airstreams are rare, purpose built travelling metaphors for seeing
the world and living in the out of doors. Americans often do not see the
value in something unless it has some sort of money making potential. I have
friends that are constantly making suggestions about how I can convert this
time and money wasting hobby into some sort of free enterprise venture. It
is kind of like, hey, aren't you are too young to be taking time off?
Americans need another reason to go on vacation, travel, relax other than
inventing the next commercial endeavor. There is actually a couple
travelling the country (see Airstream website) in a new Airstream with a
commercial venture to consult people facing mid life career changes. Somehow
seems ironic that the formerly venerable Classic retirement vessel (the
travel trailer) is now being used as a way to get people BACK TO WORK!

Airstream does have a commercial applications and the factory will make
units for your special needs. This renewed argument was about gutting
restorable Vintage units for another purpose. One less Vintage Travel
trailer and one more catering unit. Newer trailers are wider and plentiful,
have windows more suited for "window service".

So, that's my two cents with inflation.

So, what Fred said. And I would agree that you are unaware.

Can I suggest a name for your new enterprise?

How about, "The Grubby Husk Sticky Buns are Us Coffee Stop" soon to be in a
neighborhood near you.

Gary

1962 Airstream Travel Trailer
Vacationland, ME
Ps

Response to WAM

 With that said. Airstream has always built custom trailers for all kinds of
industrial and commercial uses. Modifying a useless hulk of aluminum to a
purpose-full venture is the highest order of recycling I can think of.

Just like Republicans and Democrats, there is room in the world for both!
(OK! Independents and non committed as well).

Yes,  there are custom trailers. And NO, Modifying hulk to a full purpose
venture is the highest order I can think of? Really? This completely misses
the point of a Vintage Travel Trailer's purpose was meant to be. Replace
"Highest form of Recycling" with Molestation. Vintage is Vintage, not
whatever your rebuilding pleasure will be. Can someone start a "Whatever you
dream up  Airstream club" and not allow vintage to join?

Oh yea, I have no more room for Republicans either.