[VAL] Re: PEX, Colors, fittings (was PEX)

Dear VAL et al,

I'm redoing my '70 27' international overlander with PEX and
Sharkbite.  Some of the install has been in now for 2 years with NO
leaking - once you get the threaded portion on properly!  That is to
say, faucet or water heater fittings that have the 1/2" threads still
need the same attention. But...

The sharkbite fittings on PEX are super easy to install OR remove.
Added benefit - the PEX can rotate in the fitting without leaking
making fitting piping much easier and faster than pvc gluing!

Colors of PEX - yes, seen it at local Home Depot.  But colors won't
matter once you properly (and should) install foam pipe insulation
around each pipe.  Mark both with a colored sharpie or a touch of
red, blue or green paint.

I purchase all my PEX and Sharkbite fittings from Reeves-Widerman
supply.  The Sharkbite fittings work on either copper or PEX and the
PEX is designated the same as copper - indicating inner and outer
dimensions.  I think with pvc or cpvc designation.  Sorry, I can't
recall that right now and I should. But ask a local plumbing supply
shop - not the aisle help in Lowe's or Home Depot.

This supply shop sells PEX by the foot or whole roll in either 1/2"
or 3/4".  You can get Sharkbite fittings in either and they were
(are) coming out with 1" fittings.  They are expensive.  But
reusable!  And to an extent, might be figured in overall weight of
our trailers. Solid brass.  But worth every dollar.

That freeze resistance is another factor I went with PEX vs copper or
PVC.  And PEX is cheap.  I use a small tubing cutter on mine. Very
clean ends.

The PEX I use is rated for cold or hot to x:.  I want to start
converting my house to it!  I'm already getting flak from contractor
and plumber about it.  Hmm, looks like they either convert or I find
someone else.

Find a good supplier and use the PEX and sharkbite connections.
You'll never go back.  Once you get over the fittings cost shock.

Dr. Gerald, let me know if you hunt down that Coffee Shop Airstream
in Hannibal...

Russ Wojtkiewicz
Kansas City, MO
1970 27' International Overlander