[VAL] Gutting Airstreams (was Local treasures)

Alan's thoughtful post of these poor trailers that need a rescue prompts
me to say something.

Apparently, these 4 trailers have been gutted.  Someone had a grand
scheme I suppose, and was going to make all new fabulous interiors.
Maybe the interiors were in fact hopeless due to animal occupancy, or
too many beer parties, but probably not.

I do wish people would hesitate before removing everything.  First of
all, in most cases, any antique is more valuable if in original shape,
so a collector wants the old stuff in there. Secondly, much of what is
in there is pretty good engineering, and will be hard to replicate or
replace without over loading these old frames. Thirdly, redoing the
interior will take 4 times as much labor and 8 times as much money as
you think it will, and then you are left with nothing to go camping in.

The price the owner has put on these shells ( isn't one of them a
Vagabond ?) indicates they are thinking money first. $2700 is a
ridiculous price for them, unless it is for all 4.

So if you are reading this list and wishing you had your very own
Airstream, when you find it, don't gut it ! If it is that bad, find
another one.

On the other hand if you have plenty of time and buckets of money and
skill, go to Phoenix and rescue them !

A teeny bit grumpy,
Daisy