[VAL] 6 volt brakes

>Also, does anybody have an early Airstream that used a 6 volt braking
>system? The Vagabond system is 6 volt and there was a new controller in an
>overhead cabinet, that attaches to an old pipe type steering column having a
>long handle you pull back to the amount of voltage you desired to apply the
>trailer brakes. The darn thing works, but won't go on modern columns. I
>simply hooked my controller to the brake wire, set the slide typical, and
>then backed way off the sensitivity adjuster. The brakes worked like any
>others I have towed. Is there anyone with 6 volt system experience? Do I
>care about changing out the 6 v coils since it just seems to work? The
>trailer was never towed, the brakes are new and work good. Do I care about
>fixing it if it isn't broke?

Generally careful adjustment on the modern controllers should work
fine with 6 volt brakes.  My Jordan Ultima does very well.  If you
have to much braking at the lowest setting you can probably come up
with one of the old brake resistors that were in common usage with
some of the old controllers.  We are doing this with an old Horse
trailer with 6 volt brakes and a truck with an old Kelsey Hayes
Hydraulic controller.

Rick Davis 1602