Re: [VAL] Awnings

OK Daisy!

The window awnings we made for our '60 Overlander are a variation on the
window awnings available in (I'm guesssing) late 50's to mid 60's. They snap
onto the window glass frame, covering the glass. This would give relief from
the sun and dress up the trailer a bit. (During these years the Hehr windows
had a substancial aluminum frame around the glass and would accomdate the
snaps.) Our design is not rectangular like the originals, but more of a
trapezoid shape. This allows for some of the material to hang down the sides
of the windows protecting the trailer's interior from rain. On our trailer
if we were to leave the windows open during a storm the rain would soak our
beds and stain the woodwork. These have worked very well for us especially
at Internationals before the availability of 30 amp power or while
boondocking in hot weather. They have the added benefit of keeping light out
of the trailer when the windows are closed. However the tradeoff of the
trapezoidal shape vs a rectangular one is that when we want the windows
closed without taking the awnings off, the wings that protect the interior
from rain hang loose and don't look the best.

I have heard that some people (whose trailers do not have the aluminum frame
around the glass to accept a snap) have made a variation of this design. In
place of the bottom snaps they have made pockets in bottom corners that the
window slides into. Then they have snaps or something else at the top hold
them in place.

They were easy to make for someone with just a bit of sewing experience.

Scott