[VAL] Coffee can lid

> Keep your eyes open for a more permanent solution. Coffee can lids
> tend
> to last only a year or two inside and die more rapidly from UV
> exposure
> outside. It will split straight across the middle.
>
> - --
> Gerald J.

Hi Gerald J.

I didn't know that. A more permanent solution is good. With 4600
miles ahead of us during the next six months, I expect to find the
exact replacement - probably available only in the "complete
assembly" with the motor, fan, exact housing, gaskets, matching
screws and interior trim, etc., etc.

I'll include the usual bone yards in my search - if they aren't too
far out of the way. Often times a junked Airstream is good for
incidental parts - if I can remove them without breaking them.

After reading your comment about UV exposure, I remembered noticing a
blue plastic lid in my recycle box with the familiar #2 HDPE recycle
symbol of chasing arrows. I could have used that lid - if I had not
found the coffee can lid which fit perfectly without needing any
cutting. I'll carry that blue lid with us - just in case.....

A simple google search revealed that #2 HDPE is a high density
polyethylene used for "cloudy" milk and water jugs. Learned something
new there. The article

(http://www.checnet.org/healtheHouse/education/quicklist-detail.asp?
Main_ID=353)

did not say anything about what will happen to #2 HDPE with outside
extended UV exposure.

But, it did say what could happen to my body if I ingested milk or
water from a jug made with that kind of plastic. Gads!

Your comment resulted in me learning stuff I didn't know I needed to
know. I even learned what the chasing arrows symbol means.

Thanks for commenting on my original post,

Terry