Re: [VAL] Avion truck camper

Hi Polly,
I had one for a while, and Fred is right. Mine hung well off the back of
my full bed pickup, and it weighs 2,000 lbs. My 3/4 ton pickup carried
it OK, but a 1 ton would be better.

Be aware that the framing is wood, and if it hasn't lived inside or been
carefully caulked, you may find that its bones are rotten.  Mine needed
a rebuild and I didn't have a place to do it.  Especially vulnerable are
the areas where the legs attach, you can see it start to sag if that all
important part of the structure is weakened.

I was also disappointed to discover that the aluminum skin is anodized,
rather like the old ice trays, and will not take a polish, no matter
what you do.  My vision of having the camper on the truck and  the
Airstream coming behind was killed by the weight of the thing, and that
I would have to have a  hitch extension of some sort even if I had a 1
ton to pull the whole mess. Still, it would have been quite a sight.

Daisy