[VAL] Stuck awning tubes.

    All,

    I bought a vintage Zip Dee awning (with the logo cast into the ends) on
eBay recently and can't seem to unfreeze one of the telescoping arms.  It's
the pair made up of a 1" boxed tube that slides into another one with a pin
stop to hold it on place when stowed.

    I've spoken to Randy at Zip Dee who offered that all he does in these
cases is to use WD 40 to loosen them.  Alas, I've tried that, even using
Gunk brand penetrating oil too.  Currently the assembly has been soaking in
a one gallon bath of white vinegar in the hope that any mineral buildup
might get dissolved away.  That doesn't seem to be working either as in two
days I've been able to pound them apart only about 1 1/2" with about 3' to
go.

    Has anyone else faced this dilemma?  Anyone have an idea or two?

    That bath I spoke of consists of a 5' length of 4" ABS pipe capped on
both ends with a 2" open slit cut the length of the pipe.  I mention this on
the chance that someone will suggest some form of soaking to release the two
boxed tubes.

    Thanks in advance,

    Glyn Judson, 1969 Caravel #508, Santa Monica, CA