Re: [VAL] 61 Bambi Shower Pan Removal

    Martin,

    Gosh, what a job you have ahead of you but I know it'll be 1,000% better
when you've finished.

    I might be of some help with one of your questions, black water flange
removal.  My steel-rimmed toilet flange above the raised area that accepts
the toilet bolts and couples to the black water tank below was quite rusted
too but I was able to clean it up and repaint it.  I might add that it's
been manufactured to rotate in the black plastic (ABS?) flange beneath it
for finite toilet bowl orientation.   There should be screws in that steel
collar into the fiberglass and plywood beneath to keep it and the toilet
from rotating after installation.

    To your question of how to get your flange and steel collar out, if it's
anything like mine, there'll be two slots 180 degrees opposite one another
in the top-most part of the black flange (inboard of the steel rotating
collar).

    As I recall, they're 1/4" wide and a properly cut length of 1/4" plywood
will slip right into them.  Let's say that they're 3" apart.  I made a
removal tool from a 3" long 3" wide piece of 1/4" plywood that I added a 6"
length of 1X2 to at the top to make a handle grip of sorts.  Think odd
looking T and you've got it.  By inserting the plywood in the slots and
leaning my full body weight over the tool, I grabbed each end of the 6" part
and slowly began to unscrew it.  Imagine my surprise when it threaded out
soooo easily because the male threads of the black plastic flange was
screwed into the female threads of the milky white polyethylene fitting spun
into the polyethylene black water holding tank.

    Well that's all I can contribute, I hope others can help with your other
questions.

    I might add that despite a thorough nation-wide search, I never did find
a replacement for that original flange.  So be gentle as can be with yours.

    Good luck,

    Glyn Judson, 1969 Caravel #508, Santa Monica, CA