[VAL] Door lock set

> Can anyone offer advice about installation/maintenance of the door lock set
> on the 1963 Safari Twin (Same as on all other 1963 models, I would assume)?
> I am having the same problem with the replacement Bargeman Lock Set that I
> just bought and installed that I had with the Replacement Bargeman that was
> on the trailer when I bought it: the exterior knob loosens and when the door
> is shut from the outside, without locking it, it it "locks itself". It is
> then impossible to open the door without using the key, and it is difficult
> to open the door even using the key. This failure occurred after about a
> year of use of the lock that came with the trailer when I bought it, and
> occurred after a few openings and closings with the newly installed Bargeman
> replacement (identical to the lock that was on the trailer when I bought
> it). It seems that something is loosening. The door and striker plate
> (plastic) that is attached to the door jamb are unchanged. Any advice will
> be greatly appreciated.

Hi Robert,

I have a 1962 Safari with the second "new" Bargman . That makes three so far
since I owned the trailer. Made in China label does not inspire confidence
when buying a product that probably was made here and lasted for the first
thirty years before being replaced.   My key does not work at all  and
generally feels like it is going to break at any moment.  Just guessing on
your problem but could it be that the interior side of the set was placed in
upside down? I think I remember that it could have worked either way. But
maybe not. That could explain the locking part.  Let's hope someone suggest
better advice and a replacement then This.

Good Luck

Gary

62' Safari