[VAL] 1963 Door Lock Set

Can anyone offer advice about installation/maintenance of the door lock set on
the 1963 Safari Twin (Same as on all other 1963 models, I would assume)?  I am
having the same problem with the replacement Bargeman Lock Set that I just
bought and installed that I had with the Replacement Bargeman that was on the
trailer when I bought it: the exterior knob loosens and when the door is shut
from the outside, without locking it, it it "locks itself". It is then
impossible to open the door without using the key, and it is difficult to open
the door even using the key. This failure occurred after about a year of use
of the lock that came with the trailer when I bought it, and occurred after a
few openings and closings with the newly installed Bargeman  replacement
(identical to the lock that was on the trailer when I bought it). It seems
that something is loosening. The door and striker plate (plastic) that is
attached to the door jamb are unchanged. Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.