Re: [VAL] Airstream production numbers

Hi all,

I usually don't chime in on discussions about the WBCCI, as I let my
membership lapse over a year ago.  I am one of the suspected majority of
non-WBCCI Airstream owners.  My reason for not renewing was simple.  There
was not near enough value for me for the price I had to pay for the
privilege.  In my opinion, the dues are high for what you get.   Of course,
the club itself disagrees.  The club website describes the yearly dues as
"peanuts".  Here's their description:

"Peanuts, when you think of what you get . . . what you've just read about.
Yearly Unit dues range from $5 to $25 and the 2006 International dues are
$55 .OR. you can be a Member at Large for $70. Your International dues cover
the printing and postage to mail the "Blue Beret" and Directory to your
home."

If most of the dues are to cover the printing and postage for the Blue
Beret, I would like to see an option to be a member and NOT receive the
magazine.  I actually felt the Blue Beret was the worst part of being a
member.  Unfortunately, it went straight to the recycle bin from the mailbox
each month.  There was no interesting content and the format was awful.

Well, before I upset too many people with my comments, I should get to my
original thought.

If everyone is so concerned about the declining membership, why doesn't the
WBCCI work out a deal with Airstream, Inc. to give away (yes, for free) a
one year membership with every new Airstream purchased?   What better way to
guarantee that new owners would be exposed to the club?  Of course, I
realize that not all new Airstream purchasers are first time purchasers.
And I realize that many are already WBCCI members.  But, the club would
certainly catch some never-before-enrolled members this way.  I realize that
not every free membership would be renewed, but at least the club would have
contact information to poll non-renewing members for their reasons.  Nobody
ever asked me why I didn't renew.  Did they care?

So, if you're still with me, I'll summarize my two ideas for improvement of
the WBCCI.

1. Offer a web-only membership for less money.
2. Give away a year for free to new Airstream purchasers.

Oh, and I can't help myself but to add that I think the club should be
called the Wally Byam AIRSTREAM Caravan Club International.
While I'm at it, I might as well say I'd leave out the motorhomes (except
the Classics).

Thanks for listening,
Wally
'61 Bambi