Re: [VAL] Winter Camping

> The recommended fresh air opening for a catalytic heater is one
> square foot. That translates into an opening one inch wide by 12
> inches long. Crack two roof vents or windows and that'll more than do
> the trick.

Hi Terry & Forrest:

I dug out my Olympian heater owners manual and it contains the following:

1.  The heater consumes air from the room in which it is installed.  To
insure complete combustion, an adaquate fresh air supply to the room is
necessary.

2.  It is good practice to have two openings.  One low and one high.

3.  The room must have at least one inch of free air opening per 1000
Btu/hr.to a room of average tightness.

4.  At least 7 square inches are recommended for the model 6100 (~6000 Btu).

As was discussed in this group before, there is usually a sizeable hole in
the floor under the fridge.  Certainly more than 7 sqaure inches.  That
should take care of the "low" opening. So cracking a vent 1/4" or so should
be adaquate for the other "high" opening.

GQ '67 Safari in NorCA