[VAL] Vintage Tow Vehicle Charge Characteristics

Greetings Scott!

> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:37:56 -0500
> From: "Scott & Lise Scheuermann" <SLScheuermann@iowatelecom.net>
> Subject: Re: [VAL] 15 Watt Solar Panels
>
> OK,
>
> Here's a related question. Would a 15 watt solar panel keep my battery
> (one 3EE tractor style battery) charged? Would it be overkill? Should I
> look for something larger? I use 12V for compact florescent lights (used
> sparingly), the water pump, and the furnace (at night). We rarely stay
> in one place more than 3 nights, so the tow vehicle keeps things
> charged during towing. However I will start towing with a vintage car
> (along with a vintage charging system) so I suspect that the trailer's
>  battery will not get the same amount of juice during travel.
>
> Scott
> 1960 Overlander
> 1965 Iimperial

You may not notice much difference between the charging characteristics
of your Dodge 2500 series pickup and your '65 Imperial.  MOPARs the era
of your Imperial had a very modern Alternator (long before most of the
competition).  I know that my '65 Dodge Coronet performs equivalently to
my '99 K2500 Suburban as far as keeping my coach batteries charged.  My
Dodge does have a more recent "adjustable" voltage regulator that was
installed in 1979 -- this particular regulator is a Delco Remey that has
an adjustment screw that can be turned to increase or decrease the charge
rate.  Between the extra-heavy charge line (it was added to reflect the
fact that my trailer at the time -- as well as today -- has a 3-way
refrigerator that is operated on 12-volt when udnerway), and the
adjustable voltage regulator, I have always been more satisfied with my
Vintage Dodge tow vehicle than some of my later model tow vehicles with
less versatile charging systems.

I will be home at my farm in about 10-days, and will check to see if I
have the part number for the voltage regulator -- I am nearly certain
that the same regulator was used in virtaully all of the big-block
equipped '65 MOPARs.

Good luck with your preps on the Imperial -- I finally found a set of
true and round wheels for my '75 Eldorado Convertible tow vehicle.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime)/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10
differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 final drive)