Re: [VAL] F150 tow unit questions ( help )

> The Wrangler likes trailers, has the power, durability, brakes, and
> suspension to serve very well.

Are we actually talking about a Jeep Wrangler here??

The short wheelbase model is *DANGEROUS* with almost any sizable
trailer. Heck, it'll end to end on it's own in less than great traction
conditions without careful driving. It's rated for no more than 10
square feet of forward wind load, and I wouldn't tow anything heavier
than 1000 lbs. It's not suitable for any Airstream model.

The Wrangler Unlimited longer wheelbase model is a little bit better
having a higher towing capacity, and the longer wheelbase is better as
far as stability goes. But this is not a suitable tow vehicle either for
any Airstream model. At least both models have a solid frame.

The 4.0 liter engine is gone with the new '07 designs being replaced
with a 3.6 liter V6 engine. I drove both '07 Wrangler models and found
the new 3.6 liter V6 didn't really have enough power to get out of it's
own way. I'd call the vehicles drastically underpowered with the new 3.6
liter V6 engine. I am hoping that Chrysler will fix the power issue
soon. The other issue is with the old-tech 4-speed automatic
transmission. This makes for some real wide gaps between gears, and
there is no excuse for using a 4-speed transmission these days. The
6-speed stick is a nice gearbox though.

The old 4.0 liter straight 6 had some peculiarities and issues, but it
had a lot more power than the replacement V6 does.

I am still looking for a vehicle type like this for a small light
off-road capable towing rig for a Bambi. So far, I can't find anything
that beats my Ford Ranger FX4 Level 2. It'll eat a Jeep Wrangler alive
power-wise with the 4.0 Liter V6 and 5-speed auto coupled into a 4.11
ratio rear end with Torsen gear drive positraction unit in the rear
differential, all factory stock. And it had a 5500 lb tow rating.
Obviously the Jeep has some advantages off road, and this is why
there'll likely be one Wrangler model or other on my driveway come fall.
(Still hoping for resolution of the under power issue.) But it won't be
for a tow vehicle.

The Ranger FX4 level 2 does an incredible job off road considering the
wheelbase and all, having done Elephant Hill, and lots of other trails
out west, bringing me into (and out of) some incredibly wild and
beautiful country. It also did a super (kiss-the ground-super) job on
handling the snow and ice during the last big storm out west in Colorado
on my last trip.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060