[VAL] This is just how it is .....

> Speaking of military, I noticed in the Blue Beret issue with the slate
> of nominated officers (why not two candidates per position?) bios that
> many if not the majority of the candidates were retired military career
> officers or civilian employees on military bases....

Hi Dr. G:

    What's this!!  Do you expect to be given a choice of whom to vote
for in the WBCCI??!

    You must realize, of course, it's much easier on everyone if you are
given only one candidate to vote for, as is now done.  This thoughtful
policy avoids voter confusion at the polling place, avoids contested
results and ballot recounts which, as we all saw in Florida, can turn
into a real messy affair, and avoids all discussion or debate on
relevant issues.  It lets the present officers select their successors
via the Nominating Committee of immediate past officers, thus assuring a
continuity in successful policies and procedures that has brought the
club to where it is today.

    Finally, you will note, there are no candidate statements or
position papers on what they might think about anything, especially the
WBCCI.  You do receive, however, a full page black and white resume
listing every position they have held and every award they have received
since high school.  Those wonderful resumes tell you who they are
without indicating what they may think about anything, such as the
future direction for the Club.  You only learn that once they are in
office and begin writing columns in the Blue Beret which, as a matter of
policy, will not publish any letters from members asking questions or
seeking to start a dialog.  What could be more simple or better for you?.

     Dr. G, you sound as if you do not understand what is good for you
and that, heavens forbid, you might want to make up your own mind.
That's a very dangerous concept that cannot be tolerated, for your own
good, of course.  Trust us, we know what is best for you.

Very truly yours,

THE WAY THINGS RUN COMMITTEE