Re: [VAL] When does old become new

Gee whiz, I think I hear an echo!

>I find myself somewhere out there in no man's land when it comes to
>joining in with other Airstream folks.  We have a '72 Trade Wind that
>is mostly original but not because I'm stuck on preservation.

'72 Safari

>I'm 72,

71

>I don't feel comfortable with the WBCCI people...

Ditto, for those reasons and others.

>I do appreciate all the help I
>have received from the vintage people however.  In fact, I'd be lost
>without their generous hints on repairs and modifications.

Ditto!!!!!

>I... appreciate the
>many conveniences of our old aluminum house.  I still find it amazing
>that we have a gas stove and oven handy, a refrigerator, soft beds,
>electric lights and a toilet!

It's the least I would expect in my home -- though our custom-made mattresses are hard as rocks, for the sakes of our backs.  Note that
you forgot to mention the computers with their DVD's, CD's, printers, and scanners.  The cell phone is more of a mixed blessing.

>While my wife does not share my interest in camping or RV travel, she
>does come along on some trips... We like to explore history
>related areas, historic homes, museums and libraries... We don't have TV
>preferring to read or listen to soft music from our iPod.  We really
>enjoy the quiet.  But the Lum & Abner and Fibber & Molly shows are fun
>too.

Another Old Time Radio enthusiast!  The wife prefers reading over exploring.  But otherwise, ditto on all this as well.

>We have a little F-150 Ford...

Big hulking Chevie 3500 -- difference is the wife loves it for her daily driver.

>Each of our five children,
>at one time or another, has asked how/why we ever got married in the
>first place.

Ah, there we part company -- we only had three.  But the question is familiar.

Sounds as if you (like Jim) are someone we want to meet down the road.  Optimistically, we look forward to it.

             -- Lew #4239

'72 Safari
Currently trying to dry out in OH
2006 travel-log = http://www.geocities.com/llindner1/road2006.htm