[VAL] more questions re: inverter / 12V / handbook?

Hi everyone - thx for all the info (inverter = increase, I will remember
that)

1. We have an almost-mint 1971 Safari LY that is usually off-grid (we have
an 80W solar panel). I assume that the metal box in the dark hole beside the
batteries (we have two deep-cycle) is an inverter, right?

So if it is an inverter, and it is converting (increasing) 12V battery power
to household current - does that mean I can plug a regular household
appliance in to the 120V sockets in the trailer and it will work? (generally
speaking, provided there's enough energy in the batteries)

2. There is only one 12V "lighter" socket in our trailer (that I can find)
and it is in the rear bathroom. It sure would be handy to have more
elsewhere in the trailer, as we are generally always off-grid. Anyone know
of any other 12V sockets in that model year? (one that a previous trailer
owner might have concealed or ...)

Do 12V extension cords work? Or does the "strength" of the electrical power
deplete over length of cord?

3. after reading the conversation about "daisy chain battery charging" ... I
wonder if our TWO batteries are hooked-up correctly.

4. Steep learning curve here - is there a basic, up-to-date RV book you'd
recommend? One that would apply to an old AS? (1971). The trailer owner
manual is a little sketchy at best.
Thx
MargK