RE: [VAL] Another question on theory of electrity

The problem is that a 20 amp circuit is rated such due to the wiring size.
The larger the wire, the more current (amps) it can carry.  As you begin to
exceed the rated current the wire begins to heat and the voltage presented
to the AC unit starts to drop due to the resistance in the wiring.  As you
exceed the rated current of the wiring, it can melt the insulation and short
out and in the process cause a fire.  Dometic AC units have a minimum rated
voltage of 103.5 volts.  If you try to run them below that voltage the
compressor overheats and you damage the unit.  It typically will not fail
immediately, but damage is done the result is premature failure later down
the road. The AC units only require a 30amp circuit during initial
compressor startup and then the current requirement drops back to below
20amps, but on a hot day, the running current requirement is VERY close to
20amps, so a 20amp circuit is NOT a good idea.

It is NOT EVER a good idea to use an adapter to plug a trailer into a
standard 115volt household type plug for ANYTHING OTHER THAN JUST charging
the batteries.  NEVER try running the AC in that configuration as you are
tempting fate with the result potentially being a fire at the receptacle.
Household type receptacles are rated at 15 amps so they will overheat and as
I stated, they can cause a fire.  The reason that the breaker is rated at
20amps is that multiple power outlets are connected to a single breaker.

Only use an extension cord rated for 30amp service as the voltage drops
encountered with typical household cords at the current levels a trailer AC
will require will pull the voltage down dangerously close the 103.5 levels
(or below).

David