RE: [VAL] Cleaner?

Hi Jo Ann,
The process is very similar to sand blasting but uses water and baking soda
as the blasting media.  Here is a link that was sent to me from my MG list
http://www.sodablastcars.com/ which explains the process.  Basically,
sandblasting is very abrasive on metal and creates a lot of heat.  With
aluminum, it would be very easy to cut through the soft metal or heat the
metal and warp it.  That's why they don't recommend sandblasting car body
panels.  You also have the clean up of all that sand which gets everywhere -
been there done that.  The soda is environmentally friendly and is just
washed away.  No media to shake out of cracks for months or even years to
come.  Because of the consistency of the mix, it takes a special machine to
blast.  They do make smaller ones for home use but they are about $250 - 300
and you will still need a good compressor.  I haven't tried it yet, but have
heard that it works wonderfully.

Hope this helps.
Pete