[VAL] diesel prices Canada

Hi to all,

Last week, Scott was wondering about fuel prices in the Great White North.  I
was away on my first A/S trip of the season (1,000 miles in a week)...more
driving than visiting the relatives!

Anyway, diesel prices in BC vary slightly--highest near Vancouver due to
transit levies, etc.  But in central BC (Prince George), the current price is
$1.029 CAD per liter ("litre" here).

The conversion is:  3.785 litres = 1.0 gallon US  (4.54 litres = 1.0 gallon
Imperial/Canadian)
                            3.785 litres x 1.029 = $3.89 CAD
                            3.89 CAD x .90 = $3.50 US (don't gasp--we pay the
3.89!)

The currency rate fluctuates daily, but it's been hanging around 1.00 CAD =
.90 US for the last few months.

You should find the fuel prices similar in the provinces of Manitoba and
Saskatchewan, but Alberta is a few cents cheaper due to no provincial sales
tax (they have oil revenues!).  Check at the border crossing whether or not
you can save your receipts and submit them for a rebate on perhaps both taxes:
provincial sales tax (PST) in each province, and the federal gov't Goods and
Services Tax (GST), same as the European Value Added Tax.  It's my
understanding that out-of-country visitors can at least claim a rebate from
each province on PST.  That rebate would apply to other goods you've
purchased, in addition to fuel.  In BC, the PST is 7%, and the federal GST is
7%, but GST will be lowered to 6% by this summer.

You might consider a bulk station credit card as well.  I have one for Chevron
and it saves me another few cents per litre over the gas station pump price.
Travelling outside the country with it, though, requires pre-authorization
from the company with quick repayment of the invoiced amount (I haven't had
occasion to use it outside of Canada yet).  Most larger towns have the bulk
stations on the outskirts, and sometimes you have to look for them.

Add'l info:  In Canada, Exxon is called Esso, Gulf (retail) was bought up by
PetroCan years ago, Chevron is Chevron, Union 76 does not operate here, Shell
is Shell, not sure about Texaco (haven't noticed them for a few years now) and
there are popular smaller retailers in western Canada called Mohawk and Husky.
We have a Husky refinery in Prince George which actually supplies other
retailers as well.  I digress!

Anyway, good luck with planning your trip, and contact me if you need more
info on anything.

Gary H.
"4slice"
'77 31'