[VAL] Re: Burst Water Pipes

Quick 2" here....

Last summer I decided all copper in my '70 27' International had to go.
I heard by this list how good PEX was.  It is!  And VERY easy to work
with and relatively cheap.  I have thus far replaced all pipe from the
new Thetford toilet (finding recent thread interesting!), new hot water
heater, kitchen sink, pump, and city water inlet.  But....

I also decided to use the Sharkbite fittings!  They are not cheap, by
any means.  But do they ever work and are fast!  One time secure joint.
The upside is I can take them apart, change a path or whatever, and
reuse the fitting!  The PEX pipe also rotates, without leaking, after
the fitting is made.  No cementing, no glueing, no smell.  Yes, there is
some weight with them, but negligible.  The fact they are reusable and
allow the PEX pipe to rotate within the connection is a great and worthy
luxury.

The only time I had to stop a leak from a fitting was the PEX to 1/2inch
threaded adapter.  Getting the threaded part tight enough, with teflon
tape, to not leak. That was on the Kitchen sink inlets.  Hard to get to
and tighten while attached to sink.

These Sharkbite fittings also work with copper pipe.  But the PEX is
nearly burst free and very easy to cut and somewhat bendable around a
fairly large radius.  And its lightweight more than neutralizes the
weight of the sharkbite fittings.  But be prepared to pay $2-$4 a
fitting or more depending on which one you use.  And look for inlets and
outlets that are 1/2", as sharkbite fittings are only in 1/2", 3/4" and
were to be in 1" fittings by now.  No 3/8" stuff.  But that's ok, I'd
rather use the more conventional home fittings and have not had trouble
finding or adapting.

Now, to fix the screeen and entry doors and get the bathroom completed
by fall!

Russ Wojtkiewicz
Kansas City
1970 27' International Overlander Land Yacht