RE: [VAL] Vent

Jerry,

I have done this. You can buy, or best fabricate a stong and complete plate
for the top and bottom of the opening. I used polished stainless 1/16 inner
and 3/16 outer plate for strength, corrosion, and appearance to obtain a
14x14 opening. I used ss rivets and kept the size so that it was concealed
by the ceiling assembly. I boxed the two plates for strength of a 14"
opening and used rivets for all. Sealing was done with the 1/2" a/c putty
peel roll since it never hardens, is easy to apply and to remove. I do not
like the commercial galvanized tin adapters that are available. They rust
and are weak, but work.

If installing the carrier unit, the 14" opening should be reduced as the
carrier does not need the large opening for the anchor bolts, so box it
smaller for added strength.

I had to run supply wiring. That was a lot of work to feed, conceal, and not
diminish insulation. The new location was well worth the efforts. You must
use 10/2 with ground gauge wiring. I used the stronger insulated direct
burial grey jacketed romex. Be sure not to damage the wiring when
fish-pulling. Be sure to use gromets or cut pieces of hose to protect from
sharp edge wear-damage.

I always install roof air units with a contactor and thermostat for full
unit shut down like in your home central unit. This is simple to do by
installing at your breaker box and NOT at the roof air. All wireing and
access for this is made simple cycles entire unit power for safety. This
prevents the roof air from putting evaporator moisture back into the coach
during compressor cycling, just like in your home. It make operation
cheaper, unit last longer, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Eddie-