Re: [VAL] question on old propane tanks

Dr J
Neither did I until I needed to replace a valve on one of my tanks.
Both were the old style and once when I got them filled at a place I never
went back to, they over filled one or the valve went bad. Anyway it started
to leak. So I needed a new valve, I figured heck, good time to get an OPD on
one of my aluminum tanks. So I went to get one, then noticed on the package,
"For Steel Tank". I didn't know there was a difference, but after just
having a valve go bad, I wasn't about to chance putting in the wrong one.
Even the three LP gas suppliers thought they were the same. Thanks to the
internet I discovered the difference, it's the dip tube length. One for
steel is like 4.75 inches, aluminum is longer. Have you ever noticed a 30lb
aluminum tank is taller than a 30lb steel tank? Me either until then. Just
think though, if I'd put in a steel tank OPD, then my aluminum tank would
have been over filled. Wish I still had the link for difference between  an
aluminum and steel tank OPD. It should be in Archives because I posted it
years ago when it happened to me. I'm sure a quick Google will turn up a few
links though.
Take care
Bobby
Looking for to Memorial Day weekend