[VAL] Re: VAL Wheels....

Warren,

It might be a good idea to determine if your split rims are indeed
positive offset wheels.
In order to do so, you might want to remove one of the wheels and
take a look. A zero offset wheel will have the wheel mounting flange
pretty much i the center of the rim, meaning that the distance from
the outside to the center, and from the inside to the center should
be the same. ( or very very close)
You can buy American Racing OutlawII wheels, where you can specify
the offset. But I found it easier to use standard wheels, and adjust
axle measurement, since I desperately needed new axles anyways.
My Overlander project is documented at www.airstreamforums.com, the
thread is called "a 63 for me", in case you want to see some pictures
of the axle install.
http://www.airstreamforums.com/forums/f142/63-me-many-good-ideas-your-new-you-trailer-11687-21.html

I chose Dexter disc brake axles over electric drum brakes for their
braking power, safety and inherently better rotational balance. I can
now simply balance my tire/wheel assembly and have a well balanced
rotational mass. My previous trailer, with brand new Henschen axles
and brakes, had a terrible imbalance due to the trailer drums  being
unbalanced, and not just a little bit. 3 of the 4 drums were so bad,
that they would immediately drop to rest with the heavy spot on the
bottom when spun by hand with the wheel off. Like a clock pendulum,
sort of.
I found it difficult to maintain a good wheel balance with these
drums. InlandRV had balanced my drum/wheel assembly once, but then
you can not rotate tires, or easily do maintenance work, as the
wheels will have to go back on lug to lug, and in the same position.
Disc size is 12", ventilated, with 4-piston non-floating calipers.
Real brakes, folks! The discs are activated by an electro-hydraulic
actuator, which in turn is controlled by a conventional brake
controller in the tow vehicle.
I am very pleased with the disc brake system. The stopping power, and
the way the brakes come on is very nice, much more powerful and
linear than electric brakes, without any signs of fade on long descents.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Uwe Salwender
Portola Hills, CA