[VAL] Padded vinyl near air conditioner

My wife, who is in charge of renovating the interior of our '64
Overlander, was wondering if the unique padded, quilted vinyl around
the air conditioner serves any functional purpose? I assume it must,
since it is so unusual, but I would like to know what that purpose
is, and whether we can safely remove it.

Also, we are going to be removing (as per wife's renovation plan) the
molded fiberglass shower/sink/toilet assembly in the rear. Does this
have any value to someone doing a restoration? Ditto the gaucho couch
in the front.

Thanks,
Warren