RE: [VAL] Water heater

Jim,

In follow-up, I forgot to add, that since the heater lites, it is most
probably just a corroded thermocouple connection. The whiteish film on the
male end and female connect will be just enough to allow the millivolt loss
to hold the solenoid from closing like the pilot went out an got cool to the
thermocouple. The thermocouple should be in the center of the flame and not
touching the burner assembly. It needs heat, but too much can cause the bulb
to burn out. Just try cleaning only that thermocouple, it's receiver, and be
sure to apply grease upon reassembly to help it connect and stay moisture
and corrosion free. Stasco sells a tube of Bulb Grease. It is cheap and I
buy it for the convenience, but any grease that is petroleum based like
vasoline works really well.

-Eddie-