Re: [VAL] door knob assembly

Scott,
I believe the L100 & 200 are made in China, for Bargman, so that should give
you some idea of the expected quality. This knob & mechanism are
replacements for the original Chesler (made in Japan) assemblies used in the
60's trailers. The doors with the formed aluminum frames (1961-1964)  use
the short striker model while the cast frame models (1965 +) use the long
striker.
The Chesler & Bargman assemblies differ slightly in the way the exterior
knob is retained to the escutcheon. The Bargman version uses a small nub on
the inside end of the knob pot metal casting that protrudes through a
retainer washer. This "nub" is peened in order to keep the whole assembly
together. When you feel the knob getting loose, it is the peened pot metal
nub starting to fail, which allows the knob to become disconnected from the
mechanism when it finally does fail. The knob usually doesn't fall
completely off as there is a pin press fitted into the shaft of the knob.
The pin creates the locking action from the keyed cylinder. If the "peened
nub" & the pin fail, the knob will come off. I don't think the repair kits
address the problem of the knob retention. I believe they are only a striker
mechanism replacement. You may be able to drill & tap a hole where the
peened nub was originally, & fit a machine screw however I have never tried
this.
The Chesler lock design is much better in my opinion as it uses a circlip to
retain the knob to the escutcheon. We have several clients with the original
Chesler locks and the feel of them is much better than the Bargman's. If
you're really lucky, you may find a used Chesler lock in good condition that
will fit right into your door. Keep in mind though that Chesler key blanks
are no longer available so make sure you get a couple of keys. I have been
fortunate in the past to find NOS Chesler cylinders with keys on ebay but
they are very rare.
Good luck with your quest.
Colin Hyde
GSM Vehicles Inc.