[VAL] Importing a trailer from BC

Dave,

In BC, we have a Crown corporation (gov't owned) called the Insurance
Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), which now also handles all former
Dept. of Motor Vehicle functions.  We are required to purchase our mandatory
third party liability insurance from ICBC, but can shop around for all
optional coverages (irrelevant to you!).  The ICBC "Autoplan" document that is
required in all vehicles is split into two sections--one section is the
vehicle insurance, and the other section is the vehicle
ownership/registration.

When you get to BC, stop at any insurance agent/broker (they ALL sell
"Autoplan") and are in every strip mall, and pick up a Vehicle Transfer/Tax
form (in case the seller didn't get one).  The agents all keep them near the
front counter and they are free.  Tell the agent that you are planning to
purchase a used Airstream and will take it back to the US, and ask about a
temporary permit (if you didn't get one from your own source).  BC temp
permits are valid throughout Canada and US.  If they won't sell you one
because you are from out of province, then ask if the seller can get one in
his name.

During the sale transaction, the seller and buyer complete and sign the
Vehicle Transfer/Tax form, which in BC is the official sale document for a
used vehicle.  The seller gives the buyer the signed ORIGINAL registration
section (NOT a photocopy) of the "Autoplan" document (seller keeps the
insurance portion of the document and removes the license plates).  This is
when you need your temp permit to place in the rear window.  This is then a
legal and properly documented sale in BC.

If the trailer is newer and worth some real dollars, then a title search may
be a good idea to ensure that there are no liens or encumbrances registered
against the vehicle.  The Autoplan agent can probably direct you to the
correct source for doing the title search.  Although I don't live near
Vancouver, I have dealt with Johnston Meier Insurance Brokers Inc. in Langley,
BC (near Vanc.) and they have always been very helpful with info by telephone.
If you want further info to completely plan the details before leaving home,
their number is 604-533-0333, and their e-mail is info@jminsurancegroup.com .
(I'm not soliciting business for them--info only).

I'm not sure about US Customs, but I would also have the seller complete a
handwritten bill of sale (signed by both of you) in case they don't recognize
the Vehicle Transfer/Tax form as being a bill of sale.  Since you are not
registering the vehicle in BC, you shouldn't have to pay provincial sales tax
(yup, we're hit with sales tax even on private used vehicle transfers!).  Even
if you had to pay the tax to get a temp permit, it would be refundable to you
by way of application to the Province of BC once you get home.  These types of
forms should be available at Canada Customs at the border--enquire when you
come into BC.

I would identify which border crossing you are planning to use (the lines are
long nowadays), get the telephone number of that particular Customs House and
then call them and ask for exactly what documents they want to see when you
show up with the silver beauty.  Get the name of the border agent you spoke to
and MAKE NOTES, so that you can repeat back to them exactly what he or she
said if you get grief at the border.

Good luck with the purchase (and the paper chase!).

Gary H.
"4slice"
'77 31'
Prince George, BC