Re: [VAL] Question

>> I'm skeptical  - what do you think?

Heck, a Ford Ranger mini-pickup with the towing package has a 4.0 Litre
engine and a 4.10 rear-end ratio, and I personally wouldn't even think
about towing your trailer with that.

I'd *really* think hard about an engine this small.

I'll second the hook it up and try it suggestion. Find some hills and
see for yourself.

One of the guys I work with had a wife that absolutely thought they
should get an Avalanche 3/4 ton as a tow vehicle for a large SOB
trailer. I had him give the vehicle a try on a towing road-test, and
they didn't get a mile before he gave up. This was with a lot more
engine than what you're contemplating. He did the same thing with a 2wd
Ford F-250 and after a highway/freeway test up and down hills, bought
the truck on the spot.

The only way to know for sure how good or bad it will be is to try it.
You've got make sure you won't put more into repairs on a sub-optimal
tow vehicle that you could have got a proper vehicle for. If it passes
the test, then you know. If they won't let you test it, I'd walk away.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060