[VAL] Boondocking in Canada

Scott,

  When we did our 3 month AK trip as soon as swe crossed the border into  Canada our concerns
about where to stay vanished.  There is so  much room and so few people you can boondock allmost
anywhere.   The only time we had to stay in a campground was in Dawson where there  is a city
ordinance against camping on the street.  In Anchorage  we spent nights down at the public boat
launch, at the shore of Lake  Hood (lots of earlymorning seaplane flights to wake you up).  In
Fairbanks the huge store Meyer's invited you to use their parking lot  where every site has an
electrical outlet (for winter engine  heat).  Along the Alaskan highway there are sections of
the old  highway paralel to the new, easy access, and a good place to  park.  In AK any gravel
pit along the road is ok (it is not gravel  but shale they use of the roads).  A word of
caution, carry a  couple of spare tires for puller and trailer, the natives of the  country do.
If you come across road graders working the road,
 DO  NOT cross the pile in the middle as you do here in the lower 48.   The pile is sharp shale
and will give you a flat right now.  We  had an immediate flat, changed to the spare and then
limped 35 miles on  a half flat tire on the other side.  In Canada the highway  maintenace
depots can help you if you have trouble.  Most are a  full garage with mechanics and everything.

  Carole and Rob
  San Diego