Re: [VAL] Axle dimensions

Heavy duty tube, eg, 3" instead of 2-5/8". First, my trailer already has
a 3" tube, so there wasn't any question. I guess I'd only get the 3" if
your frame cutout is 3". I have seen other mail where a trailer had a
smaller tube but had the larger cutout. Price difference is minimal and
I'd always go for extra strength, even though the cantilever arm
distance on the axle is small. The other thing that would make me select
the 3" tube is that it provides a substantial increase in the torsion
arm length inside the tube for the insert and rubber tubes to act on.
Can't be bad.

I used 22.5 degrees down, the original Airstream angle. I've been
wishing I had the money to buy two axles, the other with 45 degrees
down. That would give maybe two more inches of floor height (and maybe a
little bit strange looking place for the tire in the wheel well--down
and slightly forward), not a big deal, but from the aspect of shocks
imparted to the trailer, a steeper angle would tend to put some of the
shock from a pothole into the aft direction instead of the up direction.
I don't think this is a big deal for the short trailers, but the
butt-end separation on the longer trailer is due to frame bending
deformation from the "up" impact shock when the tires hit a pothole. The
question is, would the benefit even be measurable? I guess I wouldn't
spend the money unless I was a serious dirt roader. That will have to
wait until I get a perfect seal on the back window and the back access door.

Roger