Re: [VAL] RE: Lurking & travel

After reading this post, I'm wondering how many on the list have
traveled extensively in their work and how many have used their
Airstream.

I once had a job that required me to be on the road 49 weeks out of the
year, weekends and all.  This put 70,000 miles on a company car each
year and didn't include miles logged in associate's cars.  Yes, I was
single at the time.  I was home only three weeks at Christmas time.
Once a year I'd return to the New York office for a week.  This was 40
years ago.

I had considered buying a "trailer" at that time, but it never
happened.  If I had it to do again today, travel extensively that is, I
think an Airstream would be perfect.  It would serve as a living space
as well as an office.  I'd think it would be much more comfortable than
living out of a suitcase and lugging all those office files and related
items around.  Of course, cel phones and computers have changed the way
we do business today too.

My territory usually covered three states at a time.  Occasionally I'd
be moved to a different three states.  I could arrange my travels in a
wide circle returning to a central location for a few weeks at a time.
I could have parked an Airstream and worked out of it for three or so
weeks at a time.  I covered many of the states east of the Mississippi.

I'll have to admit that I fell in love with the south and often wished
I had settled there.  (I wonder what would have happened if I had
married that girl from Tennessee?)  But every state and many regions
hold an interest for me.  It would be hard to pick just one place.

Dick & Rose Ann Harold
Noblesville, Indiana
1972 Airstream Trade Wind
WBCCI #8551