Re: [VAL] Heater

Thanks to all who have responded. Here's some of my thinking after reading
your posts.  This heater has always worked fine.  This according to the last
owner, (4 years ago) and in my experience with the trailer.  Last year at the
beginning of the season, when the fan would come on there was a screeching noise.
 The main burner would light up, flame was blue, pilot worked, heat would
come out fine but the noise sounded like fan problems.  Took out the heater and
found that the fan had come loose.  Cleaned everything, tightened the fan,
checked for cracks, pin holes, rust etc. all was fine.  Put it back in and used it
several times over night just this last spring and into the early summer.
Purred like a kitten and no air flow problems.  Then we had to have it sit for
much of the summer and up until now.  The main problem with the current
lighting situation was a spider web in the pilot assembly.  The thermocouple
definitely needed to be changed as recommended by all of you and by the parts guy who
tested it.  It did respond after some very intense high heat but the new one
is much better.  Gerald... your idea of air flow problems sound right.
Everytime I think I have a major problem with this trailer it turns out to be a
spider web or wasp nest.  I was not able to check to color of the flame because
after the last mini-explosion and the heater stayed lit, I hoped the problem was
solved. After 10 min. of working fine, heard that 4th mini-pop and shut it
down immediately.  I have visually checked the exhaust and intake tubes from the
outside, can't see a clog.  Could there be spider webs on the inside of the
tubes and if so how do I get at them?  If this problem was rust, enough to
obstrust air-flow, I think I would have noticed a problem in the spring when I ran
the heater all night with no problems.
Thanks again for all your help....and oh yeah......Merry Christmas.

Tom Fairbank