[VAL] RE: Capacity of Black Water Tank

Ellen,
The black water tank on a 1960 Overlander will be approx 5 to 7 gallons. My
tank is made of fiberglass and is mounted above the floor, just beneath the
toilet. Believe it or not it is large enough for 2 people to use for 5 or 6
days as long as you don't put a bunch of water down the toilet. Since my kids
are still in diapers I don't know how long it will last with more people using
it!

A couple of years ago I had Ace Fogdall RV (a long time Airstream
 dealership in Iowa that is VERY vintage friendly) install a gray water tank.
In our model trailer the bath tub is very low, with the drain trap beneath the
floor. This necessitates either a pump, or a low mounted tank for it to
drain. We went with a lower mounted tank. It is mounted mid way between  the
rear bumper and the axle...as far forward as the frame allowed. It sticks
through the belly skin a few inches. I was not trying for a huge amount of
capacity. What I wanted was enough to overnight in a parking lot with all  4
of us being able to take a navy shower. That is what I got.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander