[VAL] Holding Tank Sensors

Is it really worth trying to replace the black water tank sensors on my 69
Tradewind?

I don't want to spend close to three hundred dollars for the new electronic
systems which use an adhesive pad which you attach to the outside of tank.

I have cleaned up the old ones which apprear to be some type of resistance rod
or they simply use the liquid in the tank as a conductor to complete the
electrical path - not to sure of this.   Is there a way to test them with an
ohmmeter?

Is this something I'm going to regret later or do most owners wait till the tank
is full to dump the waste?

Any thoughts would help.

Tom Waugh